The city that never sleeps is the home of people that think because they sleep in 4×4 apartments surrounded by trash, that somehow makes them more ‘worldly’ and superior. Fortunately for NYC that’s not all it’s known for.
The roots of hip hop lie in New York, that is undisputed. It has given us legend after legend: Run DMC, A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, Mobb Deep, Wu Tang, Biggie, Jay Z, G-Unit, Dipset, just to name several. But lately it’s giving us solo circus acts, arrogant artists and evil dictators.
These 10 tragedies have happened at the hands on New Yorkers in 2016 alone:
- Three men came out and accused the hip hop legend Afrika Bambaataa of sexual abuse.
- Bobby Shmurda told on himself in the 2014 single that got him poppin “Hot Nigga”. He then copped a plea on a gun charge, tried to take it back but it was too late and he was sentenced to 7 years in prison; 2 years served 5 left. As we head into the new year I want to propose the #StopTellingOnYourSelvesChallenge ….ready set go!
- Donald Trump, the die-hard New Yorker and rapper endorsed, reality tv personality won the President elect. Yup, that’s y’all guy and I’m gonna blame his arrogance and piss pore education, or lack there of, on his environment. Rae Sremmurd’s ‘Up Like Donald Trump’ was just one of the many songs that predate his presidency.
- New York is where Love & Hip Hop originated and became a reality TV powerhouse back in 2011. Fast forward to damn near 7 years later and it has become a badly scripted, ghetto, EMBARRISING, Shakespearean spoof. I mean, this shit has just gotten beyond fake, the drama is contrived and the cast members are desperate. I can’t even enjoy this shit anymore. All we see are: baby mamas crying about shit nobody gives a fuck about, old saggy man balls that have managed to spread seed nation wide, loud mouth girl friends/wives on top of tables yelling about cheating, no talent, did I mention washed up producers having sex with boy-body built bitches and referring to themselves as the creep squad? I can not make this shit up.
5. Young MA got one little hit and smashed an IG thot, now she thinks she’s God’s gift. She heckled her own crowd at her concert, I didn’t even know this was a thing. Then she booked a venue in N.O. that wasn’t full enough when she arrived and so she kept it moving. Her birth certificate says girl, but you can draw your own conclusions, we’re all entitled to our opinions…. I’m aligning her with Kevin Gates, subtract the talent. We thought yall were giving us a star with this one but nahhhh just take her back.
6. The Game had beef with Meek, went to NY to shoot a diss video, and had Brooklyn niggas dancing in the back like thots. This didn’t have anything to do with them so I don’t know why they were back there gassing him up.
7. Troy Ave was charged with attempted murder at Irving Plaza. This why they won’t give us venues. We haven’t heard from since his album sold 1,000 copies and this was his big splash back onto the scene.
8. DJ Envy supported Stop & Frisk live on air.
9. Safaree daggered his ass across the globe and still managed to embarrass the fuck outta NY. This Brooklyn bottom was jumping on cars during scenes that had nothing to do with him. He got played by a girl named Nikki, was shot down for the 3sum, and dragged by the woman she was cheating with. He started a coconut oil line (exactly what the world needed!) and wore fur vests with no shirt the entire season. It is just astonishing, see for yourself.
10. Lastly, Drake fans pulled up on Joe Budden at his house taunting him and he came back at them slinging rocks. This entire beef was actually hilarious, I still feel like it came out of thin air.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, the women of New York are making tremendous strides. From Angela Yee, to Nicki, to Karen Civil, Remy, and Angie Martinez they are voices that transcend hip hop and are an inspiration to girls all over the world. Now if only the men could get it together.